Hiking! It’s Good For You!
Premier wants you to know the benefits of hiking for your overall health
Heed the advice of someone who tells you to “go take a hike!” It just might be the best thing you can do for your overall health. Here are the five main reasons for taking a hike:
- Increases cardiorespiratory fitness
- Builds muscle strength
- Slows bone density loss
- Improves sleep quality
- Helps control weight
Any kind of exercise, like walking, running, biking or swimming does a lot to increase your heart rate. But hiking does a lot more, especially if your hiking through woods or rough terrain. The agility needed for hiking promotes leg strength as well as heart rate. It also promotes mental well being. Connecting with nature has been proven beneficial in the reduction of anxiety or depression. Hiking also reduces some health threats:
- Heart disease and stroke
- High blood pressure or Type 2 diabetes
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- Colon, breast, lung and endometrial cancers
- Negative effects of osteoporosis
- Tension and anxiety
So, hiking can be good for you, but there are some precautions you should take for a safe hike in the woods.
- Bring a map and hike with a partner. A companion is good for both the company and safety. If you do go alone, let someone know where you’ll be going and when you plan to return.
- Wear hiking boots. Choose well-fitting footwear with good ankle support.
- Stay hydrated. Bring plenty of water along especially during these hot Tennessee summers.
Here in Clarksville, we are lucky to have some great places for hiking. Check them out here.
And of course, before starting any physical activity, be sure to get checked out by your doctor.
If you’re in need of a check-up, contact Premier Medical Group today to schedule an appointment with someone on our PMG care team. We’ll help you improve your overall health. It is all a part of “Full Circle Care.