September is Healthy Aging Month
Premier Medical Group advocates maintaining a healthy lifestyle as you age.
Healthy Aging Month is an annual observance month designed to focus national attention of the positive aspects of growing older. The mission of Healthy Aging Month is to encourage and promote personal responsibility for one’s health… be it physically, socially or mentally.
Here are a few tips to put you on the right track:
- Take naps. They’re good for toddlers, but also people of all ages.
- Stay active. You don’t have to join a gym. Just take a walk once or twice a week.
- Eat foods that give you natural energy, like spinach, beans, and dried fruit.
- Mix in with the right crowd. There’s a link between the right social ties and living a longer life.
In the most recent census, baby boomers (ages 65+), accounted for 13% of the population. This generation, associated with social change including the civil rights and anti-war movements in the 1960s, has another important cause—staying healthy.
More tips for staying healthy:
- Stay up-to-date on immunizations and other health screenings. Many preventive screenings are available at Premier Medical Group. Those who are new to Medicare are entitled to a “Welcome to Medicare” visit and all Medicare members to an annual wellness visit. Use these visits to discuss which preventative screenings and vaccinations are due.
- Prevent skin cancer. Be sure to protect your skin from the sun. Too much sun and ultraviolet rays can cause skin cancer.
- Prevent Falls. Did you know that people who walk barefoot fall more frequently? Wear shoes with good support to reduce the risk of falling.
Find out more about aging and driving in this recent article. If you are feeling under the weather, schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or come see us at our Dunlop Lane Walk-In Clinic open seven days a week. It’s all part of our #FullCircleCare, so we hope to see you soon!