October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Did you know that 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime? Premier Medical Group wants you to stay informed on early detection.
Your best defense is early detection.
- Only a small percentage of breast lumps turn out to be cancer. But if you discover a persistent lump in your breast or notice any changes in breast tissue, it should never be ignored.
- Women should perform a self breast-exam each month.
- Women 40 and older should have a mammogram every 1 or 2 years.
More about mammograms:
If the mammogram shows an abnormal area of the breast, your doctor will order additional tests offering clearer, more detailed images of that area. Tests may include additional mammography views, an ultrasound or a biopsy, a procedure in which cells are removed from a suspicious area to check for the presence of cancer.
At Premier Medical Group, we have a great team of seasoned Radiologists, Mammographers and Ultrasound Technologists in our Diagnostic Imaging department, who are willing and able to assist and comfort you through any process.
What Can I Do To Reduce My Risk Of Breast Cancer?
Although you cannot prevent cancer, some habits that can help reduce your risk are:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Stay physically active
- Get sufficient sleep
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Don’t smoke
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Ask your doctor about additional risks from medications
- Breastfeed your children if possible
Talk to your doctor about more ways to lower your risk. Contact us to make your appointment today!